Dr. Coleen Briggs
Seasoned leader specialized in skills-based and game-based learning theory focused on adult learning opportunities. Active member of the LGBTQ+ community with life-long experience as a diversity advocate in the academic and professional domains. Masterful public speaker and client engagement specialist with expertise in data collection, analysis, and presentation. Observant and detail-oriented planner skilled in professional writing and documentation.
Briggs Gamified Consulting
Sole Proprietor; Freelance Career and Program Design Consultant September 2019-Current
Operating as sole proprietor of independent consulting service specialized towards career change initiatives, educational, and training program designs. Specialized in gamification and game-based learning approaches tailored towards individual clients. Services include:
● Career preparation comprised of career direction consultation, resume design and development, branding development, interview skill development, negotiation consultation, and long-term planning consultation.
● Higher education consultation with focus on academic selection and preparation, statement of purpose consultation, and financial aid education for FAFSA, scholarships, and grants.
● Program analysis and game-based learning design consultation personalized towards specific client programs with emphasized use of gamification techniques to spur outside engagement and leadership development.
Freelance Game Development and Marketing Consultant February 2014-Current
Acting as an independent agent for small game companies to identify game development and growth opportunities as they strive to reach larger markets. Key responsibilities of this role include identifying potentially problematic marketing, gameplay and design weaknesses, and avenues for community outreach. Tasks of the position include the following:
● Consult with independent gaming companies on development initiatives, marketing locations, and networking opportunities.
● Engage in product testing, review marketing material, and provide actionable recommendations for improvement.
● Provide support through in-person and online marketing initiatives, including social media outreach and Kickstarter management.
Job Developer March 2020-June 2021
Served as a core program designer for the Nu-Dimensions branch of the international YouthBuild non-profit organization. Primary role of position involves career preparation for young adults ages 16-24 as well as partnership development and networking with employers and community organizations within the Catawba County community. Tasks of the position include the following:
● Developed and implemented career preparation program goals targeting young adults ages 16-24 of all genders, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, ethnicity, socio-economic status, and nationality.
● Utilized questionnaire and assessment data to develop specialized professional development goals with students.
● Conducted one-on-one career counseling sessions to identify career and education goals with student clients and provide resume and interview guidance.
● Networked and fostered community and employment partnerships through weekly email contact and meetings.
● Implemented Learning Management Systems including Black Board and Google Classroom in academic and career preparation courses.
● Developed and maintained Nu-Dimension YouthBuild website and social media sites.
United States Census Bureau
Recruitment Assistant September 2019-March 2020
Adopted leadership position as head recruitment specialist within Catawba County as part of the larger Asheville recruitment region for the decennial Census Recruitment period. Key responsibilities of the role included managing weekly meetings with recruitment team, planning recruitment strategies, implementing recruitment strategies and reporting to head office. Tasks of the position included the following:
● Led team of four in the Catawba County region to meet recruiting goals and identify challenging recruiting locations.
● Presented to and recruited United States citizens ages 18 and older to serve as census takers in Catawba County.
● Educated citizens on the purpose and intent of the United States Census and use of collected data.
● Networked with local businesses and community resources to disseminate census material within the community.
● Utilized data tracking software to monitor growth towards recruitment goals.
Alex Lee Career and Professional Development Center
Career Counseling Intern May 2018-August 2018
Served as career counselor-in-training under the supervision of the director of the Alex Lee Career and Professional Development Center. Key responsibilities of the role included providing career counseling services to students and alumni of Lenoir-Rhyne University, developing and maintaining the center student portal on Canvas, representing the center during campus job fairs, and collecting orientation data for the community engagement office. Tasks of the position included the following:
- Advised and coached Lenoir-Rhyne University students and alumni towards career and graduate school planning using resume review, mock interview techniques and personal branding tools.
- Administered and interpreted results from the MBTI-II, Strong Inventory, NEO-4, True Colors and Leadership Compass assessments.
- Maintained career center online resources and social media presence through Facebook, Handshake, LinkedIn, and Canvas.
- Improved career center website design for greater consistency and navigation.
- Represented career center at large events and conferences.
Skills and Knowledges
- Leadership development
- Diversity and social growth
- Adult learning theory
- Game-based learning theory
- Skills-based learning theory
- Professional Networking
- Career development
- Program design and management
- Organizational behavior
- Needs assessment and analysis
- Human behavior and development
- Microsoft Office Suite
- LMS (Black Board, Canvas, Moodle, Google Classroom)
- Research and data analysis
- Data presentation
- Google analytics
- Website design and embedded media
- Time management
- Project management
Alpha Phi Omega:
2010: collegiate member
2011: collegiate secretary
Mu Beta Psi:
2011: collegiate member
2012: collegiate treasurer
2012-2014: collegiate fundraising chair
2012-2014: collegiate parliamentarian committee member
2019-2021: alumni professional networking chair
Chi Sigma Iota:
Kappa Delta Pi:
University of the Cumberlands Williamsburg, KY Doctorate in Educational Leadership, Business specialization July 2021
Lenoir-Rhyne University Hickory, NC Master of Arts in Human Services, Career Counseling specialization August 2018
Roanoke College Salem, VA Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Neuroscience specialization May 2013
Gamification of Leadership Training Methods: Utilizing Modern Gaming Culture to Train Effective Leaders in Corporate and Non-Profit Settings (2021)